Somers' Page Turners

Do people say that you are opinionated? Do you never get to say all of what you want in class discussions because time runs out or you have to give someone else a turn? Do you love to read? Then this is the spot for you!!! Page Turners used to be just a summer book club, well... not anymore. Here at Somers we like to change things up a bit- ya' know...keep up with the times. So, we decided to take Page Turners online by creating a blog. It's our first online extracurricular activity! :)

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Suggestions for next month...

What do you want to read next? Have any books caught your eye? Please be sure to give the correct title and author in your response. I will read a few reviews and check out the book to make sure that it is discussable and appropriate for middle school audiences.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss V. said...

I've thought about it, and I realized that we already have a fabulous list of book suggestions that we all over looked: Black-eyed Susan books. So, since I'm the blogmaster here, I'm pulling rank and making the executive decision to start with those since I know we have multiple copies of the books in the media center already. I hope you enjoy them; I know the committee works hard each year to pick some truly excellent reads.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

I think we should read the golden compass. My dad says its very contriversal, (did i spell that right) so i think it would be a good discussion book.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Miss V. said...

I actually just read The Golden Compass over Thanksgiving break. I figured with all the controversy in the news about since the movie is coming out, I needed to finally read it and see what all the fuss was about. We've used the book in Page Turners before (the one book I didn't read that summer!). I don't want to steal a book from the summer time rotation, but if the powers that be decide to take it out of the rotation, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to opening it up for discussions here. I know there has been talk of using it in the classroom, if that happens then after the class is finished, I could put up a section to discuss it online. I'll keep you posted Jackie!

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home